One of our most popular Festival events – our annual Poetry Slam – returns with 10 amazing poets battling it out to be crowned the HuddLitFest2024 Slam Champ. Hosted by award-winning poet Rose Condo and sponsored by Goat Drinks.
A lively evening of moving, inspirational and wildly entertaining competitive poetry!
1st Prize: £50, and a guest spot at the HuddLitFest2025 Poetry Slam.
Want to apply to take part? Send a video (max length three minutes) of you performing your work to [email protected] (it’s fine to use a phone to record your video). Deadline to apply is Friday 22 March 2024. See below for T&Cs.
Rose Condo is an award-winning Canadian poet based in Prestwich. With a background in theatre and performance, Rose has been writing, performing and teaching for over 20
years. Her debut poetry collection After the Storm was published in 2020 and she has won awards for her projects and shows, which include: The Empathy Experiment, The Geography of Me and How to Starve an Artist. She has hosted and won many Slams, and she runs workshops for people of all ages exploring wellbeing through creative writing.
Rose will also be performing work from her new collection How to Find Where You Belong at the same venue from 5.30pm-6.30pm. Visit our What’s On page for details.
Access and Covid safety measures: if you have specific access needs or queries and/or prefer to be seated away from other audience members as a Covid safety measure, please contact our Admin at: [email protected] with your request.
Terms and Conditions
- To apply please send a video (max length three minutes) of you performing your work to [email protected] (it’s fine to use a phone to record your video).
- We will only view one application per person. Further applications will be ignored.
- The deadline for applications is strictly 5pm on Friday 22 March. We regret that we cannot view any applications received after this time.
- Successful artists should hear back from us by five working days after the deadline.
- Poetry must be your own original work
- No singing or props.
- There will be two rounds. The poets will draw numbers from a hat and perform in that order. In the second round the order will be reversed.
- Poets have 3 minutes to perform their poetry. The clock starts from the very first thing you say – including hello.
- Points will be deducted for over-running as follows:
1-9 seconds minus 1 point
10-19 seconds minus 2 points
20-29 seconds minus 3 points
30 seconds minus 4 points, host will stop you, you’ll be judged on your incomplete poem.
- The poets will be scored out of 10 in two categories. Written content and quality of performance. The highest total score over both rounds wins £50. In the event of a tie there will be a final sudden death round.
- Judges’ decisions are final.Please remember the slam motto: “The points are not the point, the poetry is the point.”
HYBRID EVENT – this is a Hybrid event, which can be attended in person at the venue or accessed online. Simply select the Live or Online ticket link for your preferred event viewing. For online access a link will be sent to you the day before the event takes place.
Date: Saturday 20 April
Venue: Small Seeds, Castlegate (New Street junction), HD1 2UD
Tickets: In-Person tickets £8 (£5 conc) free for University of Huddersfield staff and students & essential carers, Online £3
Age Guidance: 16+