POETRY SLAM COMPETITION
HLF2020 Poetry Slam Competition
Do you want to be crowned the HLF2020 Slam Champ? Then why not impress us with your talents and enter this year’s Poetry Slam hosted by spoken word artists Rose Condo & Kieren King at Small Seeds on Saturday 28 March 2020.
The winner will be awarded £50 cash, plus a performance slot at our HLF2021 Poetry Slam, plus a mini-tour with slots for at least three other performance poetry events (details to be announced at the Slam). Please note the performance part of the prize is non-transferrable and cannot be exchanged for a monetary prize.
TO ENTER: To enter please send a video of you performing your work to: HLFPoetrySlam@gmail.com by 1 March 2020.
- Poetry must be your own original work.
- No singing or props.
- There will be two rounds. The poets will draw numbers from a hat and perform in that order. In the second round the order will be reversed.
- Poets have 3 minutes to perform their poetry. The clock starts starts from the very first thing you say – including hello.
- Points will be deducted for over-running as follows:
- 1-9 seconds minus 1 point.
- 10-19 seconds minus 2 points.
- 20-29 seconds minus 3 points.
- 30 seconds minus 4 points, host will stop you, you’ll be judged on your incomplete poem.
- The poets will be scored out of 10 in two categories. Written content & quality of performance. The highest total score over both rounds wins. In the event of a tie there will be a final sudden death round.
- Judges’ decisions are final. Please remember the slam motto: “The points are not the point, the poetry is the point”.
Terms and Conditions
- To apply please e-mail: HLFPoetrySlam@gmail.com by 1 March 2020, with 1 video and/or audio file of you performing your work, preferably to a live audience. We’d prefer web links, but attachments (of manageable size!) will also be accepted.
- We will only view one application per person. Further applications will be ignored.
- The deadline for applications is strictly 5pm on 1 March 2020. We regret that we cannot view any applications received after this time.
- Successful artists should hear back from us by two days after the deadline.
Please send a video of you performing your work to
by 28 February 2019.[/et_pb_cta]